There is no set definition of mountaineering. The most common use of the word refers to mountain climbing that might include (but not limited to) trekking, hiking, skiing, ice climbing and rock climbing.
Generally speaking, it could refer to any adventure sport out there.
I do it cause I can blog will use mountaineering in reference to any technical and/or strenuous mountain climbing trip.
Typical Mountaineering Gear Includes (but not limited to):
- Most often, mountaineering is done during winter and cold seasons. Therefore, special warm clothing is required
- Some technical equipment (this is a wide topic as terrain changes, and gear must be chosen based on the terrain)
- First aid kit
- Lighter, 3m length of 1.5mm cord, emergency blanket
- Light mountaineering tent
- Sleeping bag (depends on the temperature)
- Trekking poles
- Mountaineering ice axe
It is hard to explain the joy of mountaineering. I guess the most famous quote to help you understand is:
“Because it is there”
In the mountains, you find yourself, get to know who you are, and let go of your ego. This is the place where you will learn humility, perseverance and patience, or else the mountain will claim your life.
If you wish to take mountaineering to the next level, try Alpine climbing