Kayaking at Hatta dam has always been my short weekend getaway, especially whenever I have visitors over. Hatta dam is not only scenic, and a great place for safe Kayaking, but also a great drive to reach there.
This mountainous road is definitely one of the most beautiful drives in the UAE, it is indeed the cherry on top of your kayaking experience.
Skip this section if you know what kayaking is.
Kayaking has different forms for different purposes and different types of water.
- Sit-on-top kayaks are usually used for leisure trips (fishing, camping…) on calm water.
- Sit-inside kayaks are like sit-on-top kayaks but with the option to stay dry thanks to the outer skirt.
- Whitewater kayaks are used for racing in rivers.
- Sea kayaks are used for ocean/sea racing.
- Hybrid (canoe) kayaks are slow and used for fishing, family, camping in calm water.
I have made it a habit to go kayaking at Hatta dam whenever I face an unplanned weekend and it is the warm season. I often hit the road around 6am, and within 2 hour drive (yes, I am a slow driver) I find myself renting kayaks at the dam.
Not long ago, a tour operator took over the dam and offered to rent out kayaks, pedal boats, water bikes, and all other sorts of water floaters… I believe the rates are super cheap for the value and experience you get out of being there. Check their site for more info
Hatta dam (as per my Garmin watch), is about 4.5km loop, with few side passages that add stunning landscape to your experience. The place is made family friendly, so I highly suggest taking your kids there and have them go through such kayaking experience. But make sure they were a life jacket.